2022 Nike Pre Classic: Men's 100m Recap, by Sean MacPherson for RunBlogRun

R

RBR Admin

The men's 100 meters lived up to the hype. Fans and the media had been excited for a couple months about the amazing field. Then, Marcell Jacobs was injured and had to pull of the race, and some thought that it would mean that the race would be compromised.

Kenny Bednarek replaced Marcell Jacobs.

In the men's 100m, the final event at the Pre Classic, and the final event on the global TV broadcast, Trayvon Bromell showed that he has what it takes to become a World Champion, defeating many of the finest sprinters in the world.

Sean MacPherson wrote this piece, his third on the Nike Pre Classic.

Bromell_Trayvon-FHH1-Pre22.jpg

The Nike Pre Classic Men's 100 meters: it's the Trayvon Bromell show, May 28, 2022, photo by Kevin Morris / @kevmofoto

Traditionally at the Prefontaine Classic, fans are treated to a Bowerman Mile grand finale. But this year, meet directors manufactured a 100-meter field so talented and accomplished, that they had no choice but to make it the last event of the day.

Trayvon Bromell continued his impressive year with a win over this star-laded field, running a time of 9.93 on a wet and windy day in Eugene. Fred Kerley finished second in 9.98. Christian Coleman ran 10.04 to clock in at third. Noah Lyles finished fourth with a time of 10.05.

"I've overcome a lot of things this offseason, I took a lot of things into consideration," said Bromell, "I got a psychologist for therapy for my mental state. Right now I'm trying to win everything.

Bromell_Trayvon-1-Pre22.jpg

Trayvon Bromell, May 28, 2022, photo by Kevin Morris / @kevmofoto

Bromell found a very good start out of the blocks but found himself deadlocked at the halfway point with the two sprinters on his left, Christian Coleman and Fred Kerley. With about 30 meters left, Bromell distanced himself from his American counterparts and celebrated in the final meters before crossing the finish line.

"Today I focused a lot on my top-end speed," said Bromell, "staying calm and composed, to be able to run through the well I didn't run through the line today, but being able to run through the line and get on top with the win."

Fred Kerley, the sprinting swiss-army knife, found another sub-10 performance at Hayward Field to finish in second.

Kerley_Fred-R-Pre22.jpg

Fred Kerley, May 28, 2022, photo by Kevin Morris / @kevmofoto

"I stumbled out of the blocks a little bit," Kerley said. "My top end carried me to the finish line. I was expecting for me to be in the lead, but the stumble came, and then my top end paid off at the end."

In the second outdoor competition since his 18-month whereabouts suspension, Christian Coleman collected a third-place finish. Coleman ran a 10.09 in his first 100 meters back from suspension and topped that today with a 10.04.

"It went pretty well just considering the elements and where I'm at in the season," said Coleman. "I feel like I wanted to do a little bit better, but it was a good race. I think I can take a lot of things from it, go back, watch the film, clean up a lot and be ready for the next one."

Bromell_Trayvon-FHH-Pre22.jpg

The Nike Pre Classic Men's 100m: Noah Lyles, Trayvon Bromell, Christian Coleman, Fred Kerley, photo by Kevin Morris / @kevmofoto

Trayvon Bromell has now had three sub-10 performances in five races this season, including a personal best time of 9.75 in April. Still, Bromell feels there are technical details he would like to fix in his sprinting before the high-stakes competitions begin next month in Eugene
"I was happy to come out with the win, but there's a lot of technical stuff that I feel like I messed up on," he said. "I'm pretty sure I'm already getting messages from my coach of things that we can fix."

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member