2022 Nike Pre Classic: Mondo Duplantis wins pole vault, becoming first father/son pole vaulters to win in Eugene Diamond League

L

Larry Eder

That was a fun statistic mentioned on the NBC broadcast as I was reviewing the 2022 Pre Classic. Greg and Mondo Duplantis became the first father/son vault winners in Eugene Diamond League.

Duplantis_Mondo-1-Pre22.jpg

Mondo Duplantis, May 27, 2022, photo by Kevin Morris / @kevmofoto

The current world record holder is on a roll and is building towards Eugene for the 2022 World Athletics Outdoor Championships, from July 14-25. The Swedish superstar has competed at Doha and Eugene and has won 2 vaults in the Diamond League series. But, as Mondo develops his craft this season, as he aims for two championships, winning his first World Outdoor Championships and defending his 2018 European Championships title, I believe that we will see some big heights.

Duplantis_Mondo-1a-Pre22.jpg

Mondo Duplantis, May 27, 2022, Nike Pre Classic, photo by Kevin Morris / @kevmofoto

The young man is an entertainer. And his vaulting in Eugene, Oregon showed it. I can not wait to see him at the World Championships in July 2022!

In 1992, at the Nike Prefontaine Classic, the pole vault was won by Greg Duplantis. Greg cleared 5.70m or 18" 8 1/4". Greg competed for the Reebok Track Club at the time.

In 2019, at the Nike Pre meet in exile, held at Stanford University for one summer, as Hayward Field was being renovated, Mondo Duplantis won his first Pre meet, but it was not in Eugene, Oregon.

Duplantis_Mondo-1b-Pre22.jpg

Mondo Duplantis, 2022 Nike Pre Classic, May 27, 2022, photo by Kevin Morris / @kevmofoto

On May 27, 2022, Mondo Duplantis won his first pole vault in Eugene, Oregon with a clearance of 5.91m or 19'4 2/3". Mondo made three game attempts at 6.07m, and was a bit frustrated about not clearing that height.

Chris Nilson the indoor American record holder, took second at 5.81 meters, with Sondre Guttormsen, in third, also at 5.81m.

Mondo Duplantis is the superstar of the pole vault. The European champion and Olympic champion has his eyes set on World Champs in Eugene, Oregon in less than fifty days, and possibly defending his European title from 2018.

Duplantis_Mondo-1c-Pre22.jpg

Mondo Duplantis reaches for the stars, May 27, 2022, photo by Kevin Morris / @kevmofoto

Mondo Duplantis had to deal with the pole vault being moved from Saturday to Friday due to possibly challenging weather conditions. That move, in the last hours of the day on Thursday, was done to keep the vaulters safe. It is the second time this season, the first was in Doha, when the pole vault was moved indoors on Saturday, instead of the meet day of Friday, due to gusty winds.

The young Swede seems to be able to handle all and his relaxed, but the highly competitive manner is highly entertaining and suits him well in the high stakes world of global athletics.

One wonders how long Mondo can compete, and I will just say this. Before Mondo Duplantis is done, he will surpass the 34-35 world records, indoors and outdoors, that the great Sergey Bubka had during his illustrious career. Mondo Duplantis is just that good!

Mondo Duplantis now has a unique addition to his career stats. Both Mondo and Greg, father and son, have won the pole vault at Pre!

" Today was about getting some experience in the season, I have to admit that I was a little frustrated at not getting over the 6.07m height...the wind was cooperating with us today. My first goal was to win, and the goal at each competition is to get over six meters, but today, it was not to be." noted Mondo in the mixed zone, just after his event.

Duplantis_Mondo-Pre22.jpg

Mondo Duplantis, May 27, 2022, Nike Pre Classic, photo by Kevin Morris / @kevmofoto

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member