2022 RunBlogRun Spring Middle Distance Daily Track Training (800m-5000m), Week 21, Day 5

L

Larry Eder

One of the most unique events each season was the 10,000m at Bakersfield College. Part of the Bakersfield relays, it was a chance for the big boys and those wanting to be big boys, running a qualifier for USA Champs, NCAA, and community college standards. Usually, there were 40-45 in the race. It would start out relaxed, say, five minute pace (no joke) and that 75, would drop to 70, then, 67-68 and the race was on.

marathon elite R_ccexpress.jpeg

This is the Nike Elite Marathon racer. Perhaps the smoothest shoe I ever owned. I had 4 pairs, raced 2 miles to marathon in it. Also did speed work and wore the old ones as hang out shoes. Great fit, and handled my 35 races a year in 1978-1979. I wore spikes in serious races outdoors, and my infrequent forays into indoors (3000m on 160 yard track). Photo from Shoe Guru.

I recall one year, driving down to Bakersfield with my training partners at West Valley College to run the 10,000m. There was a false start, which got everybody to laugh and brought down the tension, which was as thick as the humidity that evening. The pace went from placid to very quick and I knew I was in trouble so I resorted a bit more conservative pace, so I could survive. I recall being lapped by some of the Grossmont JC team, which were total studs, and a bunch of the Aggies, a wonderfully eccentric (even then) group of distance runners from Northern California who could party with the best and also run with the best.

The race did not go my way that day, but I did learn that racing four 10,000m on the track in one season was a bit much. I came back on Sunday and ran a fast 6k in Santa Clara at the Swimming Stadium Park. My legs revolted for a couple days after that one.

Your workout today, Friday: warm-up, 40-50 minutes moderate running, 6 x150m stride outs, cooldown

2022 RunBlogRun Spring Middle Distance Daily Track Training (800m-5000m), Week 21, Day 5

Monday: warm-up, 40-50 minutes moderate running, 6 x 150m stride outs, cooldown

Tuesday: Warm-up, 30 minutes moderate running, 2 sets of 10 x 150m, cut downs, 200 m walk-jog between, 30 minutes moderate running, cooldown

Wednesday: warm-up, 40-50 minutes, moderate running, 6 x 150m stride outs, cooldown

Thursday: Warm-up, 8 laps on the track, sprint straights, jog turns, 30-minute easy run, cooldown

Friday: warm-up, 40-50 minutes moderate running, 6 x150m stride outs, cooldown

Saturday: warm-up, primary race distance or, 3 miles, sprint straights, jog turns, cooldown

Sunday: 75-80 minutes moderate pace, on trails

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member