2022 RunBlogRun Spring Middle Distance Daily Track Training (800m-5000m), Week 21, Day 6

L

Larry Eder

The season is about to come to an end for most high schoolers, and the top athletes will be in US Champs. We recommend for all athletes take a two-week easy recovery season and then, around July 1, we will begin Summer training, with eight weeks-twelve weeks of mileage work as we prepare you for the fall cross country season.

The last races of the season are always a highlight. Are you overtrained? Are you looking for a big race? For me, I would always find a couple races to focus on at the end of the season. In college, I would race many of the same races, from 2 miles early in the season to 5,000m in the middle, and finally to 10,000m races or some tough 10k races. In my senior year, I ran a PB at 10,000m on the track, and then, went back to the roads, finding some challenging courses.

IMG_6763_ccexpress.jpeg

Getting ready to race, photo by Mike Deering / The Shoe Addicts

During summer training, I would race at all comers once a week, mostly a 2 mile for seven weeks, and then, ending the all-comers season with a 5000m race, good preparation for fall cross country season.

Good luck in your last races of the season!

Your workout for today, June 4, 2022, Saturday: warm-up, primary race distance or, 3 miles, sprint straights, jog turns, cooldown

2022 RunBlogRun Spring Middle Distance Daily Track Training (800m-5000m), Week 21, Day 6

Monday: warm-up, 40-50 minutes moderate running, 6 x 150m stride outs, cooldown

Tuesday: Warm-up, 30 minutes moderate running, 2 sets of 10 x 150m, cut downs, 200 m walk-jog between, 30 minutes moderate running, cooldown

Wednesday: warm-up, 40-50 minutes, moderate running, 6 x 150m stride outs, cooldown

Thursday: Warm-up, 8 laps on the track, sprint straights, jog turns, 30-minute easy run, cooldown

Friday: warm-up, 40-50 minutes moderate running, 6 x150m stride outs, cooldown

Saturday: warm-up, primary race distance or, 3 miles, sprint straights, jog turns, cooldown

Sunday: 75-80 minutes moderate pace, on trails

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member