I don’t think Asamoah Gyan will be ready for 2022 World Cup - Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu

• Thread starter Latest Football News, Live Scores, Results -
  • Start date
L

Latest Football News, Live Scores, Results -

Former Udinese Calcio midfielder Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu believes Asamoah Gyan will not be fit enough ahead of the upcoming 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.

Gyan, who is without a club is bidding to make a shock return to the international fold as he eyes a spot in Ghana's squad for the global showpiece.

The 36-year-old has not played for the Black Stars since the 2019 AFCON tournament in Egypt and last featured actively in the 2020/21 season for Ghana Premier League side, Legon Cities where he made just five appearances and failed to score.

"From my side, I don’t think [Asamoah] Gyan will be ready [for the World Cup]," Agyemang-Badu told Joy Sports.

"Training alone and training with a club are different. He knows the stage [World Cup] more than me. He has been there more than me. He has been there three times, he has been the captain in 2014 so he knows the kind of stage it is.

"Training alone two-and-half months before a tournament like this – for my experience I have when I have an injury for six months and came back it took me like three or four months before I got better.

"I don’t think he will be ready for the World Cup."

Gyan is the all-time leading goalscorer of Ghana, with 51 goals. With 6 goals, Gyan is the top African goalscorer in the history of the World Cup.

He has also represented Ghana at the 2004 Summer Olympics and in seven Africa Cup of Nations in 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2017 and 2019, helping them finish in third-place in 2008 and runner-up in 2010 and 2015.

Ghana have been placed in Group H of the World Cup with Portugal, South Korea and Uruguay.

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member