• No links are allowed for first ten posts, this is to combat spammers. There after links must be relevant.

Former presidents Atta Mills and Kufuor advised me to go to school in US and not sign for Koln - Joe Addo

• Thread starter Latest Football News, Live Scores, Results -
  • Start date
L

Latest Football News, Live Scores, Results -

Former Hearts of Oak defender, Joe Addo, has revealed that late President John Atta Mills and former President John Agyekum John Kufuor provided him with invaluable advice that ultimately guided his path in both football and education.

The former Ghana international said he was faced with a life-altering decision between a scholarship from an American University and an offer from FC Koln in Germany during his tenure with Hearts of Oak.

Recalling the counsel he received, Addo stated that Atta-Mills, who was the Vice Chairman of the club at the time, emphasized the importance of combining education with football, while placing a greater emphasis on the latter.

Atta-Mills advised him, "He said I will be done with soccer in about 10 to 15 years time but school is forever, so I should go to school," Addo told Dan Kwaku Yeboah TV.

Further, Addo sought the guidance of former President John Agykum Kufour, who, despite his position as chairman of Hearts' rival, Asante Kotoko, unhesitatingly encouraged Addo to pursue the scholarship.

"So I also spoke to him about it and he said' Joe, you worry us too much so go for us to be free'. He gave me money and also paid for my ticket. That is how I came to America.

"I had the scholarship during my last days at Hearts of Oak...But at the same time, I was at the Black Stars and our coach Burkhard Ziese had linked me with a team in Germany, FC Koln. The contract came at the same time and I didn't know what to do.

"I wanted to go to school because of my father but also wanted to play football because of my mum. She was a market woman and she was popular because her son Joe Addo is a footballer. My dad wasn't like that so I was confused."

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member