Ghana did not spend 40% of AFCON 2023 budget – GFA

• Thread starter Latest Football News, Live Scores, Results -
  • Start date
L

Latest Football News, Live Scores, Results -

Executive Council member of the Ghana Football Association, Frederick Acheampong has taken a swipe at Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa after the Member of Parliament leaked the budget for the 2023 AFCON.

The MP for North Tongu on Tuesday posted the financial plan for the tournament in Cote d'Ivoire, with the FA and the Sports Ministry agreeing on a $8.5 million budget.

But Frederick Acheampong, who doubles as the New Patriotic Party’s Parliamentary candidate for Ahafo Ano South East in the upcoming elections claims Okuddzeto’s budget leak is aimed at scoring cheap political points.

"By virtue of my position on the Executive Council board. First of all, why is he running around like he has obtained something significant? Because we are in an election year, he exaggerated the thing. What is the meaning of budget? 'Estimated expenditure" The coach initially wanted to train in South Africa, if you include all these things. You know they travel with business class. So that budget of $8.5 contains components of the pre-tournament camping before the tournament itself.

"And in the end, Ghana did not spend even up to 40% of the money. It was budget and you have to draft it and give it to the ministry for them to discuss before they approve. I don't understand why he is exaggerating making it look as if the team spent $8 million. Even spent the South Africa component because the team trained at the Dr. Kwame Ktei Sports Complex. I don't know why he would do this unless scores cheap political points. This is not the first time, it has happened several times." he told Sompa FM.

The Black Stars were eliminated from the group stage of the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations in Cote d'Ivoire.

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member