West Ham United manager David Moyes explains Mohammed Kudus’s left-wing role in Manchester United’s defeat

• Thread starter Latest Football News, Live Scores, Results -
  • Start date
L

Latest Football News, Live Scores, Results -

West Ham United manager David Moyes has explained why he deployed Ghana star Mohammed Kudus on the left-wing in their game against Manchester United.

The Black Stars midfielder lasted the entire duration when the Hammers succumbed to a 3-0 defeat at the Old Trafford on Sunday.

The 23-year-old was magnificent for the Hammers in an afternoon they struggled to find any sort of inspiration at Old Trafford in the big Premier League game.

Kudus completed the most dribbles (7) of any player, and his five in the first half was two more than the whole of the Man United team combined. He also won the most duels (15) and was the most fouled player in the game, winning four fouls.

Explaining Kudus left-wing role in the clash, Moyes asserted it was a strategy to help stop Marcus Rashford and Luke Shaw on the left side of United's formation by playing Ben Johnson on the right instead of the former Ajax man.

"We played Ben Johnson on the right today, and Mohammed Kudus on the left, and I thought Ben did a brilliant job," he said after the 3-0 defeat at Old Trafford.

"He’s turning into a little bit of a hybrid player for us; one who can do different roles. It might not be the solution to the problem long-term, but I have to give him credit for how he played. He did as well as we hoped he would.

"We were wary of Marcus Rashford and his ability to get forward, and Luke Shaw at left-back, but I thought Ben did a really good job for us. In the main, most of the players did a good job."

Hojlund celebrated his 21st birthday in perfect fashion, providing the smart 23rd-minute finish that set the hosts on their way to victory.

Garnacho's deflected effort doubled their advantage less than a minute after West Ham full-back Emerson wasted a glorious chance to equalize.

The Argentine added another near the end after Scott McTominay seized possession inside the West Ham half.

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member