2022 RunBlogRun Spring Middle Distance Daily Track Training (800m-5000m), Week 21, Day 4

L

Larry Eder

So, this workout that I ran often comes to mind.

During my senior year in college at Santa Clara University, I would do a three-mile warm-up, from the Bellarmine College Prep dorm, where I was a Resident Assistant. I would run over to San Jose City College. When I had races on Sundays, I would go to the baseball fields, repeat 200 yards on the grass, and try to get them under 30 seconds, with the same distance jog, and do 20 repeats.

Nike Air Mariahs.jpeg

This was one of the first Nike air racers, the Nike Mariahs. I went from 32:40 to 31.08 in this shoe, in one year. I also loved to do my speed work in the shoe, and a fast 20 miler. Photo courtesy of Shoe Guru. Circa 1981-1982.

It was about 9 pm at night, and lights were on the baseball diamond. I would think about racing under the lights and it would inspire me to keep the speed I desired. I would get psyched by the workout, and then run a relaxed home, an easy three miles, coming down to Elm street.

That workout would help me on my Sunday races, normally 10ks on the roads. One of my favorites was the 10k course in Santa Cruz, CA from the lighthouse down to the pier and back. It had a couple of good hills, but I had this strange thing about hills. I loved them, so I would relax as I ran up them, and then push hard on the downhill, catching a few before finishing. I loved that course. We would have about 300-400 in the race, and my teammate would be leading, and I would be the top ten, and just catching people in the last half, which is always fun. It was a wonderful time, and I feel fortunate to have had those experiences.

Your workout today, June 2, 2022, Thursday: Warm-up, 8 laps on the track, sprint straights, jog turns, 30-minute easy run, cooldown

2022 RunBlogRun Spring Middle Distance Daily Track Training (800m-5000m), Week 21, Day 4

Monday: warm-up, 40-50 minutes moderate running, 6 x 150m stride outs, cooldown

Tuesday: Warm-up, 30 minutes moderate running, 2 sets of 10 x 150m, cut downs, 200 m walk-jog between, 30 minutes moderate running, cooldown

Wednesday: warm-up, 40-50 minutes, moderate running, 6 x 150m stride outs, cooldown

Thursday: Warm-up, 8 laps on the track, sprint straights, jog turns, 30-minute easy run, cooldown

Friday: warm-up, 40-50 minutes moderate running, 6 x150m stride outs, cooldown

Saturday: warm-up, primary race distance or, 3 miles, sprint straights, jog turns, cooldown

Sunday: 75-80 minutes moderate pace, on trails

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member