2023 African Cup of Nations: Côte d'Ivoire hoping to make amends in heavyweight clash against Senegal

• Thread starter Latest Football News, Live Scores, Results -
  • Start date
L

Latest Football News, Live Scores, Results -

It’s all set. Defending champions, Senegal will come up against host, Côte d'Ivoire on Monday, 29 January at the Charles Konan Bani Stadium, Yamoussoukro for the Round of 16 clash of the TotalEnergies CAF Africa Cup of Nations Côte d'Ivoire 2023.

The game promises to be a tough encounter based on the ambitions of the two sides in the ongoing TotalEnergies CAF AFCON Côte d’Ivoire 2023. With the Elephants looking to correct the wrongs of the group stage, they will go all in.

The Teranga Lions qualified from their group unbeaten and will be hoping to continue with the same energy in the knockout stage.

Côte d'Ivoire wants to make up for their poor showing in the group stage, which they progressed with only 3 points as one of the best third-placed teams.

The Elephants will want to compensate their home fans for the poor showing in their last two games against Nigeria and Equatorial Guinea by eliminating Senegal and qualifying for the quarter-finals.

Aliou Cisse - Senegal coach

“Our team is going through a good period after three matches, where we achieved good results in the group stage, and I am satisfied with it. We are in a good state to focus. The statistics are there and I cannot change the past and the results. We are in the present, and we will remain focused. We are now in the eighth final, against a good Côte d'Ivoire team. We will play a very difficult match. If we win, we will continue the adventure, and if we lose, we will return home.

“We qualified with 9 points and the opponent with 3 points, this does not matter. Now a new competition has begun. Côte d'Ivoire remains a major team in Africa, they have good players. The defeat in their last two matches remain just an accident, they will show another performance in front of their fans.”

Moussa Nyakhate - Senegal defender

“We worked well this week. We must remain focused on the way we play in defense and attack. We will remain focused on ourselves in the match, and our goal remains to win. The Côte d'Ivoire national team is good, and they have players with good potential, and we respect them a lot. The atmosphere is great within the Senegalese team. Everyone is in good condition. We have a wonderful group of veterans who are mentoring the young players."

Faye Emers - Côte d'Ivoire coach

“We prepared well for the Senegal match, and we will enter the match with confidence a lot of confidence. The players are motivated. I know the group well, and I have been with them for a year and a half. The players know what to expect from them in the Senegal match. We will enter the match with good confidence. We have worked well since I came to head the national team. Côte d'Ivoire will remain Côte d'Ivoire even though we did not perform well in the group stage. If we ask Senegal which team, they want to face in the last 16, they will choose another team that occupied the best third-place other than Côte d'Ivoire.

Jean-Michael Seri - Côte d'Ivoire midfielder

“When you are competitive, you want to win the continental title, especially when you host the competition. In this competition, anything can happen. Things have now passed, and we must look into the future, where the match against Senegal awaits us. I do not want to talk about what happened. There will be a new competition within this competition in the knockout round, and we want to progress with the new coach, who is also a big brother to us.”

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member