I never supported decision to sack Gernot Rohr – Ex-Super Eagles coach Augustine Eguavoen

sportsman

Former Super Eagles coach, Augustine Eguavoen has said he was never in support of the decision to sack his predecessor, Gernot Rohr.

Rohr was sacked a few weeks after the African Cup of Nations and having led the team to the playoffs of the World Cup with former Nigerian international, Eguavoen drafted in to replace him.

Eguavoen was appointed on an interim basis during the AFCON and led the team to a Round of 16 finish.

Eguavoen, appearing as a guest on Monday Night Football on Supersport said he wasn’t in support of Rohr’s dismissal as it came too close to a major tournament.

“Yes, I complained about the timing as it was too close to the Africa Cup of Nations,” he said.

Eguavoen further stated that he’s open to being reappointed as he still considers himself one of the good coaches in Nigeria.

“If there is still an opportunity for me, I will want to coach the Eagles again, but not at this moment, maybe later,”

“If I am called upon to lead the team again, I will definitely take up the job. I am still one of the good coaches in the country. I can still prove a point, it is just a matter of time.

“No regrets taking up the job. When you are called to serve the nation, I could not refuse them,” he said.

Eguavoen was sacked after losing to Ghana in the playoff games.

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member