• No links are allowed for first ten posts, this is to combat spammers. There after links must be relevant.

Politics is the ultimate now, says ex-GFA capo Kwesi Nyantakyi

• Thread starter Latest Football News, Live Scores, Results -
  • Start date
L

Latest Football News, Live Scores, Results -

Former President of the Ghana Football Association (GFA), Kwesi Nyantakyi, has announced his departure from the world of football, stating he has fulfilled all his ambitions within the sport.

Nyantakyi's tenure at the helm of Ghanaian football commenced in 2005 and endured until the revelation of corruption allegations in Anas Aremeyaw Anas' exposé in 2018 while guiding the Black Stars to their inaugural World Cup appearance in 2006.

Following his suspension by FIFA in the wake of the exposé, the 55-year-old has recently been exonerated, sparking speculation about his potential return to football administration.

Under his auspices, Ghana qualified for its maiden World Cup qualification in 2006 and also played at the 2010 and 2014 World Cups in South Africa and Brazil respectively.

However, Nyantakyi has chosen a different path, citing a lack of further objectives in the sport.

In an interview with Onua TV, Nyantakyi expressed his conviction towards venturing into politics, emphasizing its paramount importance. He asserted, "Politics is the ultimate. In all we do...you need political guidance."

Reflecting on his achievements in sports, Nyantakyi asserted his unparalleled success, stating, "I have excelled in Sports. You can't mention three or four people who are famous in sports in Ghana without adding me. I have reached the pinnacle of my career in sports."

Nyantakyi, who served as one of the few Ghanaians on the FIFA Council, aside from Ohene Djan in the 1960s, underlined his desire to utilize his expertise and connections for the betterment of his country through political engagement.

He expressed his motivation, stating, "I want to use the knowledge, experience, and connections that I have acquired for political influence and help the people of this country."

Formally announcing his candidacy for the parliamentary seat at Ejisu following the demise of John Kumah, Nyantakyi signals a significant transition from the football pitch to the political arena, driven by his aspiration to contribute meaningfully to the nation's development.

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member