• No links are allowed for first ten posts, this is to combat spammers. There after links must be relevant.

Ran first marathon and am crushed!! Advice needed...

scottmartin

As the title says, ran my first marathon Saturday. And I use the word "ran" loosely....

99.9% of my training was on our treadmill, with maximum weekly mileage topping out at 39 miles. My goal was to finish in under 4 hours. We started at 6:00 am and everything was awesome for the first half (1:50)...then around mile 15 the wheels fell off!!! My quads started to feel pretty destroyed and around mile 19ish my right hamstring started to lock up if I ran...
So I walked the last 6 plus miles. Finish time 5:03...demoralizing :-(

My question, is outdoor running that much harder on the body than the treadmill?? (Sole F80)
I took a cliff gel every 20 minutes just as I had done all through training (longest runs were 20 and 22 miles) so I don't think it was a nutrition issue. Am I wrong?
Endurance felt awesome the whole way through...the legs just started to betray me!!

If it matters...45 year old, 6'0" 185...primarily do sprint Tri's but wanted a challenge this off season. Longest run race before was Half marathons...have done several over the years.

Any insight would be great, as I "may" decide to run another of these awful soul depleting races!

As the title says, ran my first marathon Saturday. And I use the word "ran" loosely....

99.9% of my training was on our treadmill, with maximum weekly mileage topping out at 39 miles. My goal was to finish in under 4 hours. We started at 6:00 am and everything was awesome for the first half (1:50)...then around mile 15 the wheels fell off!!! My quads started to feel pretty destroyed and around mile 19ish my right hamstring started to lock up if I ran...
So I walked the last 6 plus miles. Finish time 5:03...demoralizing :-(

My question, is outdoor running that much harder on the body than the treadmill?? (Sole F80)
I took a cliff gel every 20 minutes just as I had done all through training (longest runs were 20 and 22 miles) so I don't think it was a nutrition issue. Am I wrong?
Endurance felt awesome the whole way through...the legs just started to betray me!!

If it matters...45 year old, 6'0" 185...primarily do sprint Tri's but wanted a challenge this off season. Longest run race before was Half marathons...have done several over the years.

Any insight would be great on Half Marathons Europe 2024, as I "may" decide to run another of these awful soul depleting races!
thanks in advance for any help

I have encountered different opinions, sometimes saying that it is difficult to get used to the conditions in the hall (often different humidity and even temperature). Congratulations on your marathon :) you have to work on your organism and get it used to it (I am generally taught to run outside, as there were always queues in the hall or I could not access it)

Forum Community

Adminstrator Moderator Member